Office of Tax Collection
• The Tax Office is open Monday, Wednesday, Thursday 8:30 am to 4:30 pm, Tuesdays 8:30 am to 8:00 pm, and noon on Fridays.
• The Tax Office under the control of the tax collector is charged with the responsibility for collection of all taxes and assessments both current and delinquent.
• Taxes are due: February 1st, May 1st, August 1st, and November 1st. A ten day grace period following the due date is allowed, after which interest is charged from the first of the month in which payments are due. If the tenth day falls on a holiday or a weekend, the grace period is extended to the next business day.
• A tax payment is considered delinquent when it is paid beyond the ten day grace period. The determination of whether a payment is delinquent or not is dependent on when it is received in the tax office, not when the tax payment is mailed. The state law is very clear that there are no exceptions.
• Taxpayers are urged to read all of the information contained on both the front and back of their tax bills, including any accompanying correspondence.
Tax payments may be made as follows:
2. Put through the Borough Hall front door slot
3. Automatically taken out of a bank account through an arrangement between the bank and the tax payer
Credit Cards are not Accepted
Garage Sale Permits - Available in my office at 312 Broad Avenue, the fee is $10.00. The form for the application is available on line. Please note that if you fill out the form it does not mean you have a permit until you either mail the application in with a check for $10.00 payable to the Borough of Leonia, or bring in the completed application and the fee. You may have two garage sales a year. (Can be obtained in the finance office, 1st floor)
Resident Parking Decals - are available through the Finance Office. To facilitate this process, a permit application is available on line and must be completed and brought to Borough Hall together with your vehicle registration and driver’s license. Please note that the license must have a Leonia address. There is no fee for the permit.
Main Telephone Number: 201-592-5780
- Tax Collector: Michael T. Apicella
- Tax Assessor: Timothy Henderson
- CFO/Treasurer: Myrna Becker
- Administrative Assistant: Doreen Kern ext. 225
- Tax Office/Accounts Payable: Irving Commike ext. 224
- Payroll/Purchasing: Lynn Hemmer ext. 221